An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 29th September 2001
F.A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

Vauxhall Motors2Lynch (21), Fearns (87 pen)
Hyde United1Yeo (43)

Attendance: 318

Vauxhall Motors: Chris Holmes, Neil Rigby, Kevin Thompson, Phil Brazier, Matt Haddrell, Kevin Lynch, Carl Nesbitt, Robbie Lawton, Peter Cumiskey, Nicky Young, Terry Fearns. Subs: Jon Paul Stanhope, Brad Cullen, Liam Croxton, Wayne McDermott, Steve Hilton

Hyde United: Richard Acton, John Foster, Matty Taylor, Paul Ashwell, Dale Hawtin, Peter Band, Chris Young, Gavin Salmon (Matt Deevey), Simon Yeo, Steve Foster (Lee Matthews), Martin Doherty. Subs not used: Gareth Rowe, Steve Lyons, Josh Howard. Sent off: Peter Band.

There was a wave of optimism at Rivacre Park for this this FA Cup tie. The appointment of former Tigers hero David Nolan as caretaker manager brought out a few old faces that had been staying away. Nolan himself had been signed on too late to take any part in the game and with Jason Dormer cup tied and Chris McCready not given permission to play by Crewe, Paul Ashwell filled in at the back with Gavin Salmon fitting into midfield. The Tigers could have gone behind in the 10th minute when Kevin Lynch fired in a shot following a knock down but Richard Acton saved well. A minute later Peter Cumiskey got in after some poor defending but again Acton held the ball well to deny the former Leigh striker. Hyde's first sign of life came in the 16th minute when Chris Young header just over from Paul Ashwell's long free kick. The Motormen went ahead on 21 minutes when a ball through the middle had Hyde appealing strongly for offside and Terry Fearns clearly was, but he didn't attempt to play the ball and Kevin Lynch ran from midfield to fire past the completely exposed Acton for the opener. It could have been two on 39 minutes when Fearns turned on the edge of the area and Acton made a brilliant one handed save. Hyde equalised on 43 minutes when Doherty's corner was headed goalwards by Peter Band and Simon Yeo was at hand to head the ball in from close range. Just after the break Vauxhall had a lucky escape after Gavin Salmon and Steve Foster combined to set up Simon Yeo who finished well but play was brought back for handball, a dubious decision at best from the Liverpudlian referee. The game got scrappy in the second half with lots of injuries and a spate of bookings. Vauxhall were awarded a penalty on 85 minutes when Stanhope was felled inside the area by Paul Ashwell, there was a little contact but the youngster threw himself dramatically which infuriated the Hyde players and Terry Fearns despatched the penalty two minutes later, sending Acton the wrong way. Hyde became frustrated having deserved at least a replay from the game and when the whistle happy referee gave another soft freekick, Peter Band reacted reacted badly and received his second yellow card and took the long walk to the dressing rooms. In the ninth minute of stoppage time Simon Yeo blew his chance, He got round the back of the Vauxhall defence but then pulled his shot across the face of the goal and inches wide of the far post.

David Nolan's first game as manager

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.