An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 10th September 2005
Conference North

Worksop Town1Jackson (90)
Hyde United1Milligan (69 pen)

Attendance: 276

Worksop Town: Sollitt, Oldham, Davies, Kirkwood, Jackson, Simpkins, Hansen, Dempsey, Godber, Flanaghan, Norton. Subs: Wilson, Owens, Payne, Thorpe, Ratcliffe

Hyde United: Mark Westhead, Lincoln Adams, Paul Armstrong, Paul Jones, Nicky Hill, John O'Kane, Jamie Milligan (Chris Lynch), Phil Salt (Steve Brackenridge), Nicky Clee (Wayne Dean), Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Craig Dudley, Gerry Harrison.

How the weather can change in a week! After last week's glorious sunshine, this week it was torrential rain and semi darkness and the first time I can remember an afternoon game in early September played under floodlights.

However in the "Battle of the Tigers" at sodden Worksop, Hyde were desperately unlucky not to claim all three points in a game they dominated. It needed an injury time equaliser to thwart them, but it was another encouraging performance nevertheless, after they had welcomed back Nicky Clee, Lincoln Adams and Nicky Hill from injury to give the side a more balanced look.

Hyde had most of the play in the first half with Dale Johnson, superb throughout, and Matty McNeil, not far behind him, wreaking havoc in the Worksop defence and with more composure in front of goal could have gone in at half time well in front.

The second half followed a similar pattern with Hyde mauling the home Tigers to such an extent the sparse crowd were shouting for the Manager and Board to resign with the home team arguing amongst themselves as well. The visitors were eventually rewarded when the referee gave a penalty for a foul on Johnson. It needed a consultation with his assistant after he had originally given the kick outside the area. Jamie Milligan slotted home, but only just. In fact Hyde should have had a penalty earlier as Johnson was clearly pushed off the ball when well placed. There were chances to increase the lead as Worksop pushed forward, but Hyde failed to capitalise.

In the end they were made to pay for their misses. In the first minute of five added on, Mark Westhead made a brilliant save, but from the resultant corner, Antony Jackson headed home. It was cruel on Hyde who had given so much to the game in atrocious conditions.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.