An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 3rd September 2005
Conference North

Barrow2Maxfield (70), Anthony (86)
Hyde United2O'Kane (89), McNeil (90)

Attendance: 920

Barrow: Bishop, Hefefrman, Maxfield, Edmondson, Cotterill, Cowan, Flitcroft, Anthony, Wilford, Knight, Forde. Subs: Ridley, Tarrant, Rankine, Rushton, Morsby.

Hyde United: Mark Westhead, Paul Armstrong, Jamie Milligan, Paul Jones, Nicky Hill (Chris Lynch), John O'Kane, Steve Brackenridge, Phil Salt (Lincoln Adams), Craig Dudley (Wayne Dean), Dale Johnson, Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Joel Pilkington, Gerry Harrison.

Report by Tony Beard:

Hyde came back from the dead at sunny Barrow with two goals in the last two minutes after all had seemed lost when the Cumbrians had notched their second goal with just four minutes left. However it was Hyde's never -say-die attitude which gave them a somewhat fortuitous point, but in this season of terrible luck thus far, they are happy to take whatever is on offer. Hopefully the season can now be kick-started.

Playing against a strong breeze in the first half, the Tigers were frequently overrun in midfield and were hampered when Mark Westhead took another blow on his already painful head when Guy Hefferman needlessly followed through. Battle they did and both Matty Mcneil and Dale Johnson had chances to score but both delayed their shots. At the other end John O'Kane cleared one off the line but overall it was pretty torrid stuff on a pleasant late summer's afternoon. Paul Jones cleared another off the line twenty minutes into the second half, but five minutes later, O'Kane brought down the lively substitute Michael Rankine in the box and Scott Maxfield made no mistake from the spot.

Rankine hit a post minutes later and when Graham Anthony struck one just inside the post on 86 minutes it looked all over for the visitors, but with just two minutes left Jamie Milligan floated over an inch perfect free-kick and O'Kane was on hand to head the ball home for what looked like a consolation. But with just seconds remaining another free-kick was headed on by a Barrow defender and McNeil was on hand to head home past a startled Simon Bishop, who hadn't made a save in the game. More drama as the assistant referee flagged for offside, but after Hyde protestations, the inconsistent referee consulted with the assistant, ascertained that the defender had touched the ball and the goal stood much to the anger of the partisan home crowd. A minute later, the game was all over with a point in the bag. Hopefully it is the bit of luck needed to get the Tigers going in this tough environment.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.