An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Saturday 15th November 2008
Conference North

Hyde United4Simm (18, 77), Maamria (28), Tolson (90)
Workington4A Wright (12), J Wright (54, 65), Vipond (70)

Attendance: 303

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, David Morley, Adam Oakes, Chris Brass, Karl Munroe, Wayne Maden, Nathan Wharton (Phillip Marsh), Lee Cartwright (Neil Tolson), Dino Maamria, Chris Simm, Nicky Clee. Subs not used: Mark Innes, Lee Rick, Gerry Harrison.

Workington: Collin, Hewitson, Rowntree, May, Andrews, McLuckie, Vipond, Hopper, Wright J, Armison, Wright A. Subs: Johnston for McLuckie, Hardman for Wright J, Robinson, Coleman for Armison, Edmondson.

Hyde clinched a dramatic equaliser in the seventh minute of injury time through manager Neil Tolson after Workington had looked comfortable with a two goal advantage midway through the second half.

It was harsh on the visitors who were made to pay for some late time-wasting by minutes added on by the referee, but the Tigers deserve credit for their never say die attitude inspired by Tolson at the end. Although the point may paper over some cracks, it is Hyde’s midfield which needs urgent attention. Frequently overrun results in the defence being constantly under pressure as soon as the Tigers lose possession.

Anthony Wright had given Workington the lead on 12 minutes with a brilliant shot into the corner of the net only to see Chris Simm equalise six minutes later after being set up by Dino Maamria. Simm returned the favour on 28 minutes as Maamria rifled Hyde in front.

Although the excitement had been good in the first period, the game really came alight after the break. Johnny Wright levelled the scores on 54 minutes and then put Workington in front on 65 minutes. When Shaun Vipond ran half the length of the pitch to put the visitors 4-2 up it looked all over.

Tolson introduced himself off the bench and within seven minutes, man of the match Simm had pulled a goal back after Adam Collin had beat away a shot from Maamria. Nathan Wharton was only inches wide with a free kick as Hyde piled forward.

With the referee allowing four minutes added time, Workington had a gilt edged chance to seal the game before Anthony Wright needed lengthy treatment to add yet more time. From the restart the ball was cleared into the Hyde half, but when it returned a brilliant run from Simm set up Tolson to score at the death with a tap-in to secure an unlikely point for Hyde.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.