An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 29th September 2003
F.A. Cup 2nd Qualifying Round (Replay)

Hyde United1Buckley (81)
Ashton United2Denney (23), Fleury (69)

Attendance: 489

Hyde United: John Baker, Anthony Kielthy, Ian Pendlebury (Tony Watts), Paul Jones, Craig Buckley, John O'Kane, John Gaynor, Phil Salt, Neil Tolson, Anthony Wright (Glyn Barker), Matty McNeil. Subs not used: Tony Ellis, Mike Meszaros, Anthony Callaghan.

Ashton United: Trueman, Thackeray, White, Allison, Adams, Royle, Fleury, Garvey, Denney, Johnson, Dormer. Subs: Cooney, Dyson, Aspinall, Wilson, Johnston

This was another pulsating local derby with Ashton claiming the victory in another close game. Like Saturday, Hyde had much of the play, but could not find the killer touch in front of goal. There were too many occasions where they tried to walk the ball in the net. Ashton on the other hand were more direct and gave a strong performance, especially in the second half, and probably just about edged it.

Phil Denney was again a handful up front and it was he who gave Ashton the lead on 23 minutes with a well taken goal after the Tigers were caught too far upfield following their own corner.

The Tigers were still without Steven Clegg, injured at Kidsgrove and Mark Westhead, who had returned to Stevenage. Anthony Kielthy and Baker again deputised in an unchanged team. Baker had another good game, although his kicking was poor.

Both teams stepped up the tempo in the second half, and the referee produced his card five times, although there was not a bad tackle in either game. With the Tigers having more of the play, an equaliser was always possible, but it was Ashton who increased their lead on 69 minutes through Craig Fleury, who shot high into the net.

Hyde brought on Watts and Barker and then staged a grandstand finish. Craig Buckley pulled a goal back on 81 minutes after the ball had gone around the area like a pin-ball, and although he came close again in the last minute, Ashton hung on and the Tigers paid the penalty for not finishing the job in the second half on Saturday.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.