An unofficial site recording the results and player stats of the Tigers.

Match Details:

Monday 12th February 2007
Manchester Premier Cup Semi-Final

Hyde United3Seddon (5), Gedman (74, 86)
Droylsden4Norton (22), Daly (23, 54, 80)

Attendance: 298

Hyde United: Craig Dootson, David German, Damien Quigley (Chris Lynch), Lincoln Adams, Michael Taylor, Nathan Wharton (Lee Rick), Gerry Harrison, Paul Howarth (Paul Gedman), Dale Johnson, Gareth Seddon, Nicky Clee. Subs not used: Steve Brackenridge, Earl Davis.

Droylsden: Phillips, Vaughan, Warner, Halford, Burke, Morris, Norton, Lynch, Fearns, Daly, Williams. Subs: Robinson, Jagielka, Tandy, Rapley, Ruffer.

Droylsden progressed to the final of the Manchester Premier Cup after a thrilling Tameside Derby at Ewen Fields. It was a shame however that there were only 298 fans there to see two of the form teams in Conference North.

Both sides fielded their strongest available after Saturday’s postponements, but Droylsden were without three players suspended and Hyde were without Steve Pickford

There were chances galore from the start with both defences hesitant, but it was the clinical finishing of the Bloods, especially hat-trick hero, Steve Daly which eventually won the day. The Tigers were left to rue a series of missed opportunities, but had to admire the goalkeeping of Paul Phillips who made a succession of excellent saves.

Hyde started well, after Terry Fearns had gone close in the first minute for the Bloods, and took the lead on five minutes when Gerry Harrison set up leading scorer, Gareth Seddon to score. Five minutes later, Nicky Clee was inches wide and then after a tremendous run had the ball taken off his toe by Seddon who found the net, only to be ruled offside. Phillips produced a brilliant save to tip over from David German and then produced another good save to thwart Dale Johnson.

On 22 minutes recent signing, Blake Norton equalised for Droylsden with a wicked deflection. And it was all change a minute later as Daly grabbed his first after ponderous defending by the Tigers.

In the second period, Droylsden extended their lead on 54 minutes when Fearns set up Daly, whose header bounced in at the far post. Seddon went close for Hyde, before Phillips made a couple of superb saves as Hyde continued to create chances. Substitute Paul Gedman pulled a goal back before more defensive lapses allowed Daly to complete his hat-trick.

There was still time for Seddon to hit a post, before Gedman grabbed his second with four minutes remaining. Droylsden held on, despite an additional four minutes added time and Hyde’s two year hold on the Premier Cup was over.

[About the Site] [Contact Us]
Site content © Stephen Shaw 2005-2023. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of content in any form is strictly prohibited without permission of the site owner.